Sunday, December 20, 2009

My 2009

As one year fades and the next one dawns upon us, the most logical course of action seems to be to follow the tried and true tradition of summarizing the past year's events and revelations into bite-sized bullet-pointed or numbered lists that are haphazardly topped by staggeringly boring titles to pull them together in a sensible way.

And so I'll start:


Important FIRSTS

1. the first president I voted for was inaugurated in January. finally felt like a complete, legit citizen. fuck jury duty, though.

2. almost out of nowhere, all the painful residual effects of high school ordeals just faded away. hadn't felt so baggage-less since before my teenage years.

3. went to Korea. it was one of the best experiences of my life, and I fell in love with the country (but like any kind of love, it was a complicated and dirty relationship).

4. everything began to click. life made sense. I made sense. it was amazing. it is amazing.

People I'm Most Thankful For Having Met This Year

- my International Law professor at Yonsei. introduced me to a passion that correlated with practicalities. priceless.

- my East Asian: Genre Films professor, Michelle, from Yonsei. introduced me to a few of my most favorite films. made us analyze the shit out of the movies. love. :)

- all my family I met in Korea

- my new roommate, Miriam. she's awesome~!

- my Korean-American lit. professor, Bonnie. introduced me to some of my favorite books, especially Alexander Chee's Edinburgh, which was ... sensational~.

- my Modern East Asia TA, David, for introducing me to some great writers (esp. George Saunders, whose works I would've never tried out on my own).

- my ME Asia professor, Prof. Hershatter, for actually making Chinese history interesting to me (had almost given up on it)

- my Race in U.S. History professor, Prof. O'Malley, for making every single lecture interesting and enjoyable. and for being so darn cute! i just want to squeeze his face. haha, umm... in an alternate reality where he's a little kid or a stuffed doll...

- my Japanese teacher, Fujita-sensei, for ... teaching me a new language!!! <3
Things I'm Looking Forward To Most in 2010


- Writing my Senior Thesis. and Graduating!!!

- Applying to Law school (I want to get on with my life)

- turning 21 (one month left!)

- becoming fluent in Japanese~

- traveling to somewhere fun and new for at least a few weeks


Life is good.

No comments: