Friday, January 29, 2010

A Personal Matter


I'm reading this amaaaaazing book by Kenzaburo Oe (creds to my TA david- thank you!), and oh my goodness, it's taking me so long to get through because I keep going back and re-reading previous pages. His word choice and imagery are marvelously addictive, and the way he makes ordinary things delightful and even grotesque... ugh, it's everything I could ask for in a book.
I love when writers can turn the most mundane events into something exquisite and poignant. Practically(,) everything can be categorized as boring and repetitive, but with a slight shift in perspective, those same things can become compelling and inspiring.
People often want inspiration to come smack them in the face in a glaringly obvious matter, but I find it to be much more precious and intimate when you find it where others cannot (or try not).

No comments: