Monday, January 25, 2010

I LIKE MY PICKLES CRUNCHY!

I made Spaghetti sauce for the first time. It was surprisingly easy- just required a lot of patience and supervision. This is the fantastic recipe I used:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spaghetti-Sauce-II/Detail.aspx?prop31=1

some deviations:

-I had no oregano so I substituted with marjoram and basil... It still came out delicious but next time I'll definitely make sure to use oregano.
-used 4 fresh tomatoes instead of canned whole tomatoes (boiled them for a minute for easy peeling and then removed the seeds because they make the sauce bitter. pureed 2 and sliced up 2 for moderately chunky sauce.)
-used 1 1/2 onions and 5 cloves of garlic instead of 1 onion + 3 cloves
-added 1 pureed red bell pepper
-added 1 cup of sauteed mushrooms (I <3 mushrooms!)

and then I let it all simmer for about 4 hours (adding some salt and pepper along the way).


Topped off my plate with a drizzle of extra virgin Spanish olive oil and Parmesan cheese!

All my roommates enjoyed it~. including the vegetarian version I made for Erica (sans sausages).




On another note... we decorated our apartment after the "YELLOW FEVER" party using the empty beer + sake bottles!





cute, no? :) we keep it classy!

No comments: