Thursday, May 6, 2010

"Drive out the Japanese dwarfs and the Western Barbarians, and praise righteousness."

Hehe. I opened Bruce Cumings' Korea's Place in the Sun and that was the first quote I read. Ah, I remember studying the Tonghak Rebellion (that was their slogan)! Fun times.
I'm writing my thesis right now. and I'm feeling blegh. no facebook. no real food. sadness. I meannnn oh, JOY!

Oh, and I was on a kpop blog and it reported that Stanford was hosting a pre-screening to the new Korean war movie starring Kwon Sangwoo and TOP (and that the director and Kwon Sangwoo would be there- sadly, no TOP). So I clicked on the link and apparently it's part of a series commemorating the 60 year anniversary of the Korean War hosted by the Korean studies program.

first few thought when I scanned the page:
1. They have an entire Korean studies program?!
2. They can bring highly renowned foreign celebrities to promote their movies based on academic reasons?!
3. WHAT! BRUCE CUMINGS is coming to talk about the Korean war on May 28?!! holy shit, dude. I am holding his book in my lap right nowww! He is one of the premier historians of modern Korean history in the United States! So much that I didn't even buy this book for school- I found it at home because my dad bought it for leisure reading (ok, so my dad is a big-time nerd). Imagine how excited my dad would be about this man, too? I WANT TO SEE HIM.
Unfortunately, his talk is at noon and I end class at 10:40 and I don't have a car. and I doubt anyone I know who has a car would be willing to go all the way to Palo Alto to hear a history lecture. *tear.
These are times when I feel incredibly dejected about the fact that schools like STANFORD really make it worth your time and money. and that I don't drive.

Anyway, I should probably get back to my paperrr! joy.

No comments: