Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I'm a horrible student pt. II

So I dled the new 2AM song and it is soo on replay! :]

It's like this super fun mix of club banging beats + catchy lyrics + good vocals (and JYP used autotune to a song's advantage for like the first effing time).
I'm waiting for the 2nd part of the music video to be released...

Oh and I didn't comment on this in yesterday's post because I wanted some time to process it, but did you hear about 2PM (2AM's brother group)'s ex-leader PARK JAEBUM (Jay Park)'s youtube page?! Whoah, I did not see that coming.

Sighh. I've been staying away from the whole mess because it's been so confusing. But yeah I guess he's left 2PM for good and now he's returned back to his normal life back home in Seattle permanently... How much more ordinary can he get, starting up a youtube page for covers?
You know, I'm happy for him because he seems totally good and accepting of the situation. But a huge part of me is really sad about the whole thing. I was never a Jaebum fangirl, but I really enjoyed his presence in the Korean media because he was the epitome of the Korean-American kid going back to his "foreign" motherland and trying to make it. Not just in terms of fame, but in terms of figuring out his identity and melding two parts of these disparate cultures the best way possible.
I was touched by the bonds he built with the other Korean pop artists/ talents and the rest of Korea because there was something about their level of acceptance of him that really hit home with me. I related to his fumbling Korean and Americanized humor, and found his easy-going attitude and frat-boy antics refreshing against the backdrop of high-stress perfectionism that is kpop. Seeing his influence spread throughout the rest of the 2PM boys (who obviously adored and looked up to him) and then to the rest of kpop made me really happy.
I guess it was too good to last. I really believe that his presence in Kpop was a rare thing (because all the other gyopos in kpop blend in pretty effortlessly), and 2PM is going to have to do a lot more to regain their former glory. I haven't found any of their new music likable so far, but they do seem to have regrouped pretty well in the absence of their former leader, lead dancer, lead rapper and main vocal. It's weird how their energy has changed so much in his absence. They're definitely more "Korean" now. And that makes them more boring to me because they don't really stand out from all the other countless boy bands out there. I love a few of the individuals because they're freaking adorable (Wooyoung!) but their X factor is gone. I guess I'll have to wait to see how JYP promotes their next album.

Anyway, I'm glad Jaebum's deprived fans have some form of communication with him. So far, he's already got over 40,000 subscribers. :). Yes, I subscribed, too! Haha, I just wanted to show support. I kind of admire that he seems to have adjusted to normal life so quickly after having been a superstar in Korea, and that he seems to be enjoying himself.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jayparkaom

No comments: