Saturday, September 18, 2010

Chan-su



"Men always want to be a woman's first love; women have a more subtle instinct: what they like is to be a man's last romance." -Oscar Wilde


I'm watching the first episode of Proposal Daisakusen (which is where I got that quote from). I forgot how ridiculous Japanese dramas could be. Hahhahaa. "Hallelujah, Chance!" umm yeah XD. I've always wanted to watch this drama because I love Yamapi + his spastic zaniness, but never got to it. Anyway, the drama's main premise is about a boy who gets an opportunity to go back in time to get another chance at love, an idea that I hate, but Yamapi makes anything hella cute, so... here I am... watching it. :P
(oh btw this is a compilation of his "hallelujah, chance" moments. HAHA okay, watching the rest of them makes me want to watch the rest of the drama. I love the fake-out one where he expects to be transported back and he's just yelling by himself...! Oh, my dear Yamapiiii! so cute.)

(ignore the "wedding cake" parts)


I'm just skipping around watching an episode or two of different dramas right now. I started watching the middle of It Started With A Kiss because Jso made me watch a scene from it to compare to the Korean version (Playful Kiss) and it just sucked me in! Haha. I didn't like some of the stuff in the drama (like the family + the girl) but I also really like the main male character. He has a great on-screen presence, so even when he's not speaking, he draws you in and keeps your attention. His eyes just have this intensity that is missing in lesser actors... like Kim Hyunjoong. 


Who, by the way, I am loving in PK!! Even though he's still lacking, he has improved so much! I love his character much more than I expected to. Initially, I was just thankful that he wasn't massacring the role, but he's actually portraying character development, too! I mean, he's not amazing, but you don't notice any bad acting either, which is a miracle in itself. His character is an interesting take on the "perfect cold prince," too. He's pettier than he lets on, and has this weird sorrow about his own inept heart. It's also the first time I can remember a Korean drama explicitly questioning the importance of cultural norms and expectations in regards to education, especially when there is no passion involved.  It's not that they're saying that schooling isn't important, but that it isn't the be all and end all. 


Ooh, and Jung So-min, who plays Oh Hani, is the cutest thing ever. She has so many different expressions and is so natural about it! I hated her character in Bad Guy but loved her acting, and it's a relief to see she can do sweet, comical, animated roles, too! 


Sungkyunkwan Scandal is my next drug. Besides the obvious eye candy, the plot is actually quite interesting! It manages to incorporate Korean history + politics without being heavy-handed or needlessly winded. Also, with each passing episode, the characters show more and more depth, which is always welcome. I like that it isn't predictable, either, and that when something is surprising, it isn't thrown in our faces for dramatic purposes. The drama just lays it out and it's up to us to take it in and evaluate it. Basically, it doesn't look down on its audience and assume everything has to be SUPER DRAMATIC for people to get the point. The camera work is gorgeous, too. Beautiful, artistic shots with a great soundtrack, intriguing plot and pretty people who can actually act ? Yes, please! 


The crazy thing is that I never expected to like either of these two dramas, and they have rapidly progressed to being my favorites right now! :) Surprise, surprise! 


Oh yeah, btw, on a personal note... I'm going to start working at this new boba cafe/ crepe house/ hookah lounge that opened up in ktown. I'm only doing night shifts because I'm keeping my options open for a daytime job, but the place stays open very lateeee, so I think I will be very tired once I find something else. Anyway, I'm just excited to finally start working again and meet new people. I've been going a bit insane, to be honest, so I really needed this for my mental health. Here's to hoping everything goes well! *clink* 



No comments: