Wednesday, September 29, 2010

FOOD

Had dinner with some friends at Yamato, a sushi restaurant in Westwood. It's located in this huge cathedral-like building, and I expected good things from the fancy-schmancy outside. First thing I'm introduced with: A huge statue of Darth Maul elevated 10 ft above the ground behind the hostess table. ...Okay.  Huge mirrors everywhere and huge bottles of alcohol stacked on glass shelves that reach the ceiling. Kinda cool, kinda tacky. Lots of different levels and seating arrangements throughout the ginormous area. Finally get the menu, and... everything is marked half-off already. I mean, the prices are supposed to be half-off for Happy Hour, which is from 5pm to closing, but like, on the menu, you see the original price crossed out with the new price next to it. How tacky is that?? Eh, but I can live with that if the food is good. My rolls? So disappointing. TINY piece of salmon layered on top of terrible quality spicy tuna rolls, with spicy mayo drizzled across to disguise the lack of quality. Blegh. Not even worth the half-off price, and def. not worth the drive to Westwood.
Made up for it, though, by going to Diddy Riese a few blocks down. Bought a dozen cookies. Promptly shoved 3 down with the aid of some milk. :).

Came home and decided to bake some cheese corn! I've been wanting to do this forever! Anyway, it was good, but I was so full I could only eat a few bites. It's definitely a food to eat while drinking / drunk. It's really heavy on the mayo.... seeing how much mayo goes into it was kinda sickening. ughh.
The cheese makes up for it, though. ^___^ <3 (cheese + susie 4eva!)

Oh, and working at Boba Bear has inspired me to try making crepes better! I bought some flour and nutella earlier today and now have the crepe batter settling in the fridge as I write! Totally did some research on crepes and even watched the Good Eats episode on them. Of course, any excuse to watch the lovable Alton Brown getting down with his nerdy food self is fine by me~! =)
Will report back on the progress later.

No comments: