Sunday, November 15, 2009

아리랑 (Arirang)

청천하늘엔 별도 많고
우리네 가슴엔 꿈도 많다
(Just as there are many stars in the clear heavens,
There are many dreams in our hearts)


I'm not really into this dude or his super popular youtube channel but this video was just precious.


I love how whenever I see old Korean people, I just recognize them without even knowing them. Actually, that goes for all Korean people. I always feel some sort of connection with them even when I don't like them. Strikes a certain nerve. The grandma was so cute. <3
And I love how the uncle was so reserved but when he sang, he really got into it and allowed his vulnerability to show.
Anyway, I LOVE this song a lot. It's a song that I always heard growing up and it has this uncanny ability to make my heart seize up a little. I think it's one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.
Korean folk songs are just... sighhh... so emotional and passionate in this weary but strong way. in true Korean spirit. (ahhh generalizations!! )

This always makes me tear up a little, too. It's mostly contextual, though... I wish they'd focused more on the audience. It's one of those gut-wrenching moments where I think about how this song signifies the shared culture and history of South and North Korea, including their shared struggles, joy, and grief. It's like an old love song between two lovers who have been separated in the most agonizing and unfair way possible.
Think I'm getting too into this? :P
Well, you know, the song is actually about separated lovers! (Which can always be interpreted as a metaphor for many other sorrows, of course.)




but as pretty as it sounds, the orchestra doesn't wield the raw power of a person's voice:

(this one's 정선 아리랑 - Jeongsun Arirang, which is the original version)

This one is 정선 (Jeongsun) and 강원도 (Kangwondo):


Tell me you love it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it.