Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Wong Kar Wai weekend


I finally saw 2046 on Saturday. I am such a Tony Leung fiend! He has such an interesting face (or as Erendina described him, "He's like the Asian Clive Owen," and to which I replied, "You mean CLIVE OWEN is the British Tony Leung?!" heh, I love Mr. Owen, too.), and I can't tell whether I want to be his best friend or his fuck buddy. Oh well. Good thing I have no say in the matter. :).
Back to the movie.
I was a little distracted when watching it (our apartment had a few visitors that weekend) but even without the distractions the movie was confusing~. It was a bizarre presentation of Wong Kar Wai's usual sorrowful romance mixed in with an alternate reality, science fiction-esque storyline. I don't want to ruin it for anyone, so I won't talk about the plot, but I have to admit I was first turned off by the movie because I couldn't seem to emotionally connect with any of the characters (esp. Tony Leung's). However, towards the end of the movie, I realized I found the movie really beautiful. I think I liked it much better than In The Mood For Love (blasphemous!) even though In The Mood was much more cohesive and intimate. It might be because 2046 started off so complicatedly but narrowed into this sad bit of reality. The train subplot was such a poignant way to represent Chow's inner workings (including his subconscious), and really captured his sense of loss and self-realization in a strange, unsettling new way.

Sounds like a winner, but I'm still re-watching it to make sure I agree with myself. :]

P.S. I cannot stand Tony Leung with a mustache.
P.P.S. Chungking Express was adorable! Hmm, would Wong Kar Wai be okay with that description?



(Brigette Lin was fabulous!)

No comments: